Thursday, March 25, 2010

First Run

This past Sunday I went for a run around my block in my new Five Fingers. It must have been about a 400-500m jog. It felt great to have such light shoes on and landing on my forefeet was a nice change. I felt like I was just bouncing along the street. It was much different than the pounding I am/was accustomed to. I must say the Five Fingers felt great and didn't really require any adjustment.  I got the sense that the placement of  the thicker rubber of the sole under the balls of my feet wasn't perfect but I am definitely satisfied. I easily made it home.

After my jog around the block my calves and achilles tendons were really sore for several days. Also, several small stabilizing muscles in my ankles were sore that I haven't really felt before - I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. As I mentioned before I have decided to set the Five Fingers aside for the time being and go completely barefoot. By Wednesday afternoon the soreness was nearly gone so I went out sans footwear for a jog. I bet I didn't make it more than 200m on the street. My feet are definitely tender since I've never really gone barefoot, not to mention run barefoot. I can see how running completely barefoot enables a self limiting training mechanism. While I'm waiting for my soles to toughen up I expect the muscles/tendons/ligaments in my feet/legs to condition for the motion as well. Wearing Five Fingers allows you to run further than your body is conditioned for.

Today's high temperature was right around 30 degrees F and even colder this evening when I had some time for a run. I didn't feel like going out in the cold barefoot so I just spent a few minutes on the treadmill barefoot. The rubber track is so much easier on my soles than the street. I'm not sure how much that will really help my feet toughen up but it was still a good activity to continue adjusting my joints and muscles to the new technique.

I am hoping for some warm weather so I can take this experiment back outside soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment